CNN is reporting that Chicago detectives investigating the alleged attack on Jussie Smollett are working to obtain the actor's financial records.
Investigators have also sought to ask Smollett additional questions about the attack he reported on January 29. A source close to Smollett’s team told CNN that he has not given police a follow-up interview and no such meeting is scheduled.
Smollett told authorities that two men attacked him, putting a rope around his neck and pouring an unknown chemical substance on him.
The actor denies playing a role in his attack, according to a statement from his attorneys.
In a statement, 20th Century Fox Television, which produces the series “Empire”, and Fox Entertainment expressed support for the actor Wednesday.
“Jussie Smollett continues to be a consummate professional on set and as we have previously stated, he is not being written out of the show,” the statement said.
Two law enforcement sources with knowledge of the investigation have told CNN that police believe Smollett paid two brothers to orchestrate an assault on him.
The brothers, who were arrested and released in connection with the attack, met Tuesday with police and prosecutors at a Chicago courthouse, Chicago police spokesman Tom Ahern said.
The men – whom attorney Gloria Schmidt identified as Olabinio Osundairo and Abimbola Osundairo – were arrested February 13 but released without charges on Friday after Chicago police cited the discovery of “new evidence.”